Procurement often opens doors for unethical behavior. I am sure as a procurement professional you have definitely come across it in some way or another. We are daily met with decisions, that can question our ethics, whether it is your conscious that raises some questions, or a colleague, or simply your moral background. Lets not judge – we find ourselves in the wrong place at the wrong time more than we would like.
Some questions (that I have learnt from a former employer) to help you understand whether an issue that you come across is ethically right or wrong can be:
- How would this look in the newspaper?
- Am I able to sleep at night?
- Generally is it a good decision or not?
- Is it going to compromise the company adversely?
- Could I lose my job over this?
What sort of situations have you faced that have made you not sleep at night?